Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  Bloomberg  January 12, 2015 10:00pm-11:01pm EST

10:00 pm
10:01 pm
>> from our studios in new york city, this is "charlie rose." >> julianne moore has always
10:02 pm
disappeared into her roles, but never more so than in her new film. she plays a linguistic professor confronted with early onset alzheimer's disease. "variety" magazine writes that "moore publishes a powerful performance." here is the trailer for "still alice." >> i hope to convince you that by observing these baby steps -- i went for a run. >> you blew our dinner plans. >> i need to talk to you. >> what is going on? >> are they going to break up? >> i have alzheimer's disease. early-onset. i can see the words hanging in
10:03 pm
front of me and i cannot reach them and i do not know who i am. millennium, hedgehog. you cannot use your situation to get me to do everything. >> why can't i? >> because it's not fair. >> i don't have to be fair, i am your mother. >> i have to try or i'm going to go crazy. >> please do not say that. >> i am not suffering. i am struggling. struggling to be a part of things.
10:04 pm
to stay connected to who i once was. the moment is all i can do. live in the moment. >> i spoke with julianne moore earlier this year in new york. here is that conversation. there is a lot of buzz about this film. you went to toronto with the film and there was no distributor and now there is a distributor because there was a sense that this was a special. >> thank you. >> and it was the right actress at the right time in the right role. >> we felt so fortunate. you never know what is going to happen. we had a 4:30 screening on a monday, not auspicious for screening times. you go hoping people will see the movie and respond to it, and afterwards as we went to the audience we felt like we had a chance. >> tell me about the film.
10:05 pm
>> the character's name is alice, and she is a professor of linguistics at columbia university and has been married since she was quite young, in her 20's, and has three adult children, and had children when she was young as well. she starts noticing little slips in her memory and does not mention it to her husband or anyone and gradually begins to realize something is going on. she goes to a neurologist and is diagnosed with alzheimer's disease. >> and that means what? >> when you're diagnosed with alzheimer's under the age of 65, that is early onset. it is generally a different, more potent form of the disease. sometimes faster-acting.
10:06 pm
she is completely compromised at that point in her life, she has to quit her teaching position and spend time with her husband. she enters decline pretty rapidly. >> so there is a character arc. >> who the self is, who our essential self is. who are when we lose how we define ourselves. she has primarily defined by her intellect. >> what do i do when i cannot do the things i do? >> how does she cope, she presented herself, how does she present herself. how do she preserve her relationships? >> when i was a little girl in second grade, my teachers told me that butterflies do not live a long time and i was so upset. i went home and i told my mother, and my mother told me they have a nice life.
10:07 pm
they have a really beautiful life. >> how did you prepare? >> it was extensive. i was so struck by the generosity of everyone i spoke to. i spoke to the alzheimer's association who put me in touch with women that i skyped with. they talked about their experience. one was a woman that was 45 and she was one of my primaries. she is a redhead, looks very much like me. she noticed problems with her computer programming. >> diagnosed at 45? >> 45, yeah. i spoke to them then i went to , mount sinai and i took the memory test. they give it to paper when they come in, wondering what is going on. -- two people they come in wondering what is going on. my results normal, thankfully. then i went to the new york alzheimer's association and spoke with women that were unbelievably helpful.
10:08 pm
talked a lot about the isolation, how difficult it was to find someone who understands what is happening. the feeling that people do not know who they were because they did not understand how to communicate. there was one woman who said she was so defined by her ability with language and her intellect that once it was difficult for her to speak to people when they do not treat her as someone that possessed the intellect. what i came away with was how hard people worked to communicate and to maintain the way they were, not the sense of fading away. people do not fade away, they continue to move forward.
10:09 pm
>> the terrible moments for people with alzheimer's cannot recognize even a child. friends of mine said it is the worst moments of their lives. >> it is really awful. i do not think there is anything people fair more the end that lack of recognition. it is not so much about memory loss. there is a different kind of neurological reaction. people have issues, spacial issues, they do not understand how a doorknob turns. a sense of dislocation. there are many symptoms that we really do not know a lot about. >> your husband said you have empathy. he said, she's got empathy. >> did he? [laughter] that is what is great about acting, it forces you to yourself in someone else's shoes.
10:10 pm
what do i understand that this other person understands? how do i enter into that life and try to understand that? i went to a long-term care facility and i was sitting at a circle and a window was open and a woman turned around and said you better get out of that draft. i said that i am ok and she moved. i ran into her daughter and i was telling her and she said that is my mom, always worrying about other people. it was interesting to see how much she was still herself. you know? she was still worried about people getting out of the draft. >> the film is a call to action. you understand what it is like to live with alzheimer's. at the same time, one of the executive producers, maria. >> she has quite a bit of experience with alzheimer's in her family. i think it has really made it a mission to educate people about it and raise awareness and
10:11 pm
money. >> also in this film, alec baldwin. i am told it was your idea. >> it was my idea. i love alec. i worked with him on "30 rock," and i loved him. i would get offered these comedies, and i would ask them to do it. and he would say don't you have a drama, and i said you would not do the part. i presented to him and he said he would do it. he has such a passion for life so much vitality and masculinity. to some -- to see somebody like that -- in a real marriage, they try to hold onto that and deal with that.
10:12 pm
i think it is beautiful what he does. really beautiful. >> why did you become an actress? >> because i love to read. i love to read. >> that led you to acting? >> i love reading because i like stories about people, feeling of being inside the. -- inside the book. i like that transformative thing that literature does. when i started acting, when it is the best, you feel like you are inside a book. i am in the story, i am in this little improbable. -- little bubble. you are telling stories about who we are as human beings and what we can accomplish and how we can help each other and damage each other. it is all behavior, behavior is fascinating. >> there is something about you.
10:13 pm
there is something about you that makes me think you have gone through the whole thing. my parents had a country store and i had to work in the country store. my father -- i was an only child and he made me go to work early. you want to talk to adults and you would ask smart questions because you did not have experience. you had to care about it politics and sports and gossip. politics and sports and gossip. , >> you tell me what is important. >> your father was in the military? he was a judge? >> and my mother was a social worker. >> you had to adjust to different circumstances. you moved around about the tee times. -- 20 times. >> people and culture and circumstance, whatever. what are you like? you learn that behavior is not character. >> you become observational. >> i do like to know, what is going on with you? where are you from? what is that accent?
10:14 pm
are you married? >> you never become unpopular asking people questions about themselves. [laughter] i learned that early on. it is even true for teenagers, moving place to place. once you've decided, was it instant love once you have the chance to go on stage and hear your voice and react to another character and hear applause. >> it was pretty much -- i could not do sports, i was not athletic. i did not play an instrument there were not any clubs. all i did was i read, so you try out for the school play. i did that and it was something i could do. i was like, other than school, it was the one thing i could do and people are drawn to the things that come easily to them.
10:15 pm
because it came easily, it is just like reading, i can do this. it was one step after another, and then i thought i want to be an actor, because i like this. >> what is the best advice you ever got about acting? >> i am trying to think. what is the best advice? just be persistent. it is not what i heard, it is what i saw. >> in terms of learning and getting more roles? >> just work. work, work, work. take a opportunities. just keep moving forward. i noticed the actors i admired were always working and in different genres and nothing bothered them, they just worked. >> i assume meryl streep. who else? >> meryl, number one. i told her that -- she was on the cover of "time" magazine when i was a kid and i showed my father and said i want to be like her.
10:16 pm
i said, she is an actress on the cover of "time" magazine. i think vanessa redgrave is somebody i have always admired. >> you know what is great about her, and may always great to but vanessa is older and she is still doing it. >> she started when she was young and continues to work in many venues. it is a great thing. >> do you consider yourself a late bloomer at all? in terms of not so much the skills but being appreciated for the range. most people will say, as one director said about you, she brings intelligence, gravitas, and an inner self. those are the kinds of things they say about meryl. >> that's nice. thank you. >> you have a wider range and
10:17 pm
bigger canvas. >> my career is incremental. i was talking to somebody and said i did my first movie when i was 29. which was pretty old for in actor. >> this was after the soap opera. >> i did movies of the week but i was not in films until 29. everything was very incremental and there was never any big surge. >> in some ways it is better. >> it is great. i am like a mouse chewing through a wall. one tiny bite at a time. and eventually you are through the wall. >> it builds not only experience but talent. you continue to be exposed to new ideas and new people and that becomes a part of who you
10:18 pm
are. >> and there is no there there. you know, there is nowhere to go. life and death, what are we in such a hurry to get to this part? if you hurry through it, -- >> you do not appreciate it. >> also, you do not want to get to the very end. [laughter] you know, so i think it is like everything that you do has to be something you enjoy at the time. to be in the place you are in. >> any great regrets? >> i sometimes regret i did not go to graduate school for acting. >> like yale? >> or juilliard or something. i had a terrific undergraduate education but i think it would have been interesting to have a graduate knowledge. >> you look at this as something you will do the rest of your life.
10:19 pm
there is no end point there is a sense it is fulfilling. and you continue to do it. >> "map to the stars." >> i cannot take it anymore. >> how is cronenberg as a director? >> wonderful. what a great person. he is a lovely person. very family-oriented. amazingly prepared, incredibly precise about everything he does. so soft-spoken, and the like really easy days. sometimes just one or two takes. really easy days. >> one thing that would be great about being a director, you have a script that you love, you see what an actor adds to your own sense of character. because they add their interpretation. >> my husband said something interesting, what is interesting is when an actor surprises you
10:20 pm
when you have written something and they start doing something you get so excited and you feel , like you are holding dynamite. i thought that was a wonderful way to put it. >> i heard mike nichols say, what do you want from an actor and he says that he wants an actor to surprise him like an architect surprises. >> that is great. the creativity. you want the shock of creativity. in the scene, you do not know what they are going to do and they do something and you go oh. you get excited. and you say, oh my gosh. watching what they do. >> nominated for an oscar four times. do you feel good this time? >> i feel great. i am gratified people are so moved by it because that is what we wanted.
10:21 pm
it is very human and we wanted people who feel the humanity and connect and understand and have an insight into what the disease is like. >> you do a film like this and you have an appreciation for how important it is to have a husband and be close to them. >> relationships. working with kristen stewart was very extraordinary, she is a very soulful girl and an extraordinary actress. and the idea of the mother and daughter bond, trying to communicate and miscommunicating early in the film and you watch them miss each other. it is not about a combative relationship, it is about not seeing things the same way, but not for a lack of love. you see people that are like this managed to meet. >> if you were not doing what you are doing, what would you do? what profession would serve the same kind of --
10:22 pm
>> creative. that is the thing, being an actor, there is so much you get to experience. what if i were a librarian would that be enough? it might pay because of all the stories. -- it might be the kinds of all of the stories. you have access to all these stories. i love furniture, i love interior design, would i have liked that? i thought i might want to be a doctor, i like medicine. you talk to so many people. >> and you go to interesting places. you do not like to cook. >> bart is doing the cooking right now. i am going to go home and eat at tie. -- pad thai.
10:23 pm
i do the laundry and the organizing. >> you do the family schedules. >> the doctor's appointments and this and that in the other thing. >> if you were giving a class lecture, what would you say about acting? what would you want to say about this profession that is so interesting? proceed with caution. you have to love it to do it. >> i always tell people, if you do not like actually doing it, do not do it. if you do not like the process of being on the set or on stage, if you do not like the doing, do not do it. because there is nothing else. >> someone said, don't tell me you want to be a writer, tell me you want to write. you don't want to be somebody, you want to do something. >> to get so wrapped up you don't even know. you just like the actual doing. i used to love being in acting
10:24 pm
class, rehearsal, all of that. i like going to a film set in the morning and seeing everybody and saying hello and having everybody come together and bring their own expertise to figuring it out and shooting the scene. i like all of it. afterwards, sometimes i do not want to see it because i just like be doing. >> how many times do you watch your performances? >> twice at most. >> so not on netflix? >> my family will be like, look, and i will be like, turn it off. occasionally i see things now, because i am much older. i went to see a documentary about andre gregory and they had clips and there were scenes with me and wallace shawn and i was like, who is that? that was a long time ago. seeing how physically changed i was, that was interesting. >> thank you for doing this.
10:25 pm
>> thank you for having me, it was great. ♪ >> steven brill is here. his 2013 “time” cover story was widely praised for shining a light on the astronomical cost of health care in this country. soon after publication, brill became a patient diagnosed with an aneurysm that required surgery, which shaped the narrative of his new book. "america's bitter pill." it chronicles the affordable care act and considers the impact it will have on the health care industry going forward. i am pleased to have steven brill at the table. >> it is good to be here. >> tell me about what happened to you. >> as i was finishing the reporting on the book which is about how obamacare happened and what is going to do, on the last
10:26 pm
day of enrollment in the insurance exchanges, i got a routine checkup from my doctor who checked my pulse and said, it sounds strange. you have me do one kind of test and another kind of test, and i was skeptical. the next day he told me i had to have open heart surgery. i have literally not missed a day of work for being sick, i was in great shape, so i thought. he explained that this is a bubble on your heart, and the bubble was big enough that i had a 17% chance, he said, in any given year, of it bursting. and i would not even get to the emergency room.
10:27 pm
and i asked, how many people continue the conversation, and he said you would be surprised. i was in the operating room within two or three days of that. my wife and i did not mess around. because i was so into writing about health care and hospital bills and obamacare, i thought i was dreaming. when you get into something, you go to sleep and dream about it and i thought that is what it was and it was not. a horrible mix of reality and dream which i recount in the opening pages. >> i cannot tell you how searing it was for me to read that because my mother had a cerebral aneurysm. she did not know if she would make it through the night because it was scheduled the next day.
10:28 pm
that was a long time ago. there were going to go around and bypass the weakness. >> i started reading when i recovered, actually, before i recovered, when my wife and i were checking into the hospital, the first thing you do is meet with the anesthesiologist. it was a team of three of them and that got my attention. i said, why is the team, and they said we have to keep you alive. we stop your heart so we have to keep oxygen and blood to your brain and lungs. and i said, stop your heart? and they said, what do you think happens when you have open heart surgery? we can't keep your heart going. >> how did this inform your assessment?
10:29 pm
>> it brings home one thing intellectually. you and i know that target -- health care is in emotional issue. health care is scary. people care about their health more than policy, but when you're lying on the gurney you're not thinking about your charge master bill and the explanation of benefits. as far as you are concerned if the doctor says you need four blood tests and six x-rays, you will get anything they tell you you need. that was really driven home. the other thing was that for all of what i write and report about costs and how the drug companies over bill and hospitals over bill and everybody over bills, the fact is this is an industry that saves people's lives. >> do they over bill to make money or out of caution? >> they do both. very conveniently, the caution
10:30 pm
makes them money. if the doctor says just in case, i'm going to give you a cat scan because you have a headache. that is caution. it could be fear of a lawsuit. because we do not have tort reform. it could be in excuse about tort reform, but whatever it is, it adds to our cost. we do more cat scans and mris than any other country and results are not better. >> you have said, to me, something to the point that the health care market is not a market at all. it is a crapshoot. >> think about your mother's experience, my experience. you do not know what you are going to buy or how much it costs or if you need it. the doctors are the honest players, i think.
10:31 pm
but when you get the bill, you have no idea what it means. when you get the explanation of benefits, you have zero idea what it means. the ceo of the largest health care company in america sent me 36 explanations of benefits. when i interviewed him, he could not explain it. that is not a marketplace. you are not a savvy customer when you go to get health care unless you are getting lasik surgery or something that is truly voluntary and discretionary. you cannot judge quality, cost anything. >> how did we get here? >> well, we got here through an obscure set of decisions during world war ii. we cannot offer higher wages so let's offer health insurance. in the 1940's health care started to be something that was
10:32 pm
starting to be expensive. it was more than lying down and dying, they could actually treat people. they offered health insurance as a benefit and it made an obscure decision that it would not count as a wage increase and the irs decided it would not count as income. so health care benefits were embedded into the employment context in the u.s. in way they are not in any other country and what that meant was that when franklin roosevelt and when truman said, we ought to have a national health care law the way other countries do, one of the leading opposition forces were the unions, the progressive
10:33 pm
unions. because they were offering it as a benefit. and they said you cannot be doing it, it is how we recruit. >> it is paternalistic. we will take care of you and make sure you have benefits. >> that is one of the great ironies. >> what are the other ironies? >> one of the ironies about obamacare people do not realize is it is a more conservative version of a plan proposed by richard nixon and a more conservative version of what mitt romney did in massachusetts. democrats were pushing for single-payer and got nowhere and gradually got worn down. finally, with obamacare, the democrats in the senate and the white house said, let's go with the republican plan. let's go with romney care. imagine their surprise when the
10:34 pm
republicans still opposed it because it was obama's. imagine their surprise more when we went republicans opposed it was saying this is a government takeover of health care. it is exactly the opposite. the government, through the taxpayers, paying for subsidies so people can buy insurance, it is the government giving the private sector all of this money to serve tens of millions of new customers. >> what is the best health care in the world? in terms of quality and access and cost. >> there are debates. some people say france, the u.k., canada, germany. what nobody says is the united states of america, both in terms of the results and obviously in terms of cost. >> why have we been so -- >> once we went down this path of keeping it in the private
10:35 pm
marketplace, i am not a lefty, but the notion of keeping something like health care private just does not work. we tried this great experiment overall of these years now since the 1940's and 1950's. let's be the only country in the world that does it this way. and every other country does it that way. what do we end up with? cost 50% higher per capita. and results not better. and usually, not as good. >> would we have been better with single-payer? >> yes, but we can't do that now. you cannot put the toothpaste back in the tube. what i propose is something radically different, more republican, which is you let the large health care systems that are expanding, the large hospitals that are buying up doctor practices and clinics you let them expand and compete as brands.
10:36 pm
you regulate them and let them sell their own health insurance. what i mean is, when i went to new york presbyterian and got care, they have a network over the city. all over the new york metropolitan area. i would rather pay the president to be my insurance company, pay them $8,000 a year and say you keep me well. no matter what happens to me. instead i pay united health care that and i have to worry about my network. are they going to allow this treatment? are they going to allow that treatment? you give them the incentive to treat me as much as possible so they can only as much as possible. if the insurance company is the hospital, they have no incentive to bill themselves.
10:37 pm
but you have to regulate that heavily. >> what was the biggest mistake the obama administration made? >> they forgot that a part of occupying the white house is governing, for starters. they, being the president, ignored the advice of larry summers and lots of others saying you have to bring in people from outside to run this thing or the launch would be a debacle. that was mistake number one, mistake number two, and this may have been forced on them by the politics, but they never emphasized that this is a giant income redistribution program, that the premiums are really cheap because the subsidies that people get are so high. there are subsidies for people making up to $92,000 a year. they were afraid to talk about that and that is why enrollment lagged at the beginning and the
10:38 pm
politics are still not as good. it is a great program for the middle class. >> the book is about the fight to fix the health care system. steven brill has done an amazing job reflecting that in his personal experience and talking to people inside and outside the white house and made a conversation with the people who make up the medical community. both patients as well as hospitals and pharmaceutical companies and certainly doctors. "america's bitter pill." ♪
10:39 pm
10:40 pm
>> governor mario cuomo was laid to rest this week. he was a three term governor of the state, a talented lawyer and an eloquent speaker. he passed away on new year's day, the same day his oldest son andrew was sworn in for a second
10:41 pm
term as governor. he was a frequent guest on this program. and we have several conversations about politics his legacy, and the role of the government in america. he was born the son of immigrants in queens, graduated at the top of his class, but no one wanted to hire someone with his last name. sc told me in 1995, he said it was an experience he never forgot. >> i always imagined this. you came, your father, -- >> andrea. >> he ran a grocery store. >> he was a ditch digger and then he ran a grocery store. >> you pull yourself up, you got through law school, you cannot get a job on wall street. they do not want mario cuomo. somehow, that was a chip on your shoulder. that has always been with you,
10:42 pm
where i came from. in a positive sense but also in a negative sense. >> that is true, charlie. as i remember saying, something really stupid in my first few days as governor, 1983. someone said, what do you want to do with your governorship? i said, i want to have four years after which you will say no one worked harder and was more honest. because of the stereotype of italian-americans, talking about the mafia, it is so disgusting to me, so repulsive, i am the first elected italian american in the history of the state as governor. i want to show them how upright and honest i can be. and italian americans were disgusted and they were right.
10:43 pm
it was to defense of. -- defensive. it was an unfortunate thing i said. i am mindful of my background but it expresses itself far beyond me. when i go back to the south and see this kid who was emptied into the street to be surrounded by pimps and prostitutes and drug addiction and disorientation, and see a society that looks at that child who is black or latino or whatever and poor, and includes all kinds of stereotype. like, there is no point in trying to help them. they are not as smart as we are. when i read books by presumably intelligent people are being read by intelligent businessman who asked me at a meeting, what about the study that says that blacks are intellectually inferior? and i hear that in new york
10:44 pm
state, and my only answer is are you kidding? are you serious? do you think that there is something to the thesis that because they are black, they are inferior of intelligence? absolutely, says this one businessman. i remember law school. i remember mario cuomo, first in his class, not able to get in. and it is aggravating to think that the most powerful nation in the world, that has given opportunities to 20 generations. we still have not learned. >> his influence spread far beyondnew york state. he remained an outspoken defender of liberalism and the power of government to help people's lives. >> it is important for government to do what it did for my mother and father.
10:45 pm
they did not get a handout. my mother had four children and never used a doctor or hospital, she had midwives. they did not ask for much except the opportunity to make it. my father, who was a ditch digger, had more opportunity than people in new york who are educated. he had a job. it was only a ditch digger, but there was a ditch to be dug. and somebody handed him a shovel, and said go to it. he worked. the most fundamental thing you can give people is an opportunity to earn their own bread with dignity and an opportunity to move up. it is ironic, he did not have much else. but he had the chance to make it on his own. we're not doing that anymore. >> the quarrel is how to best do that. >> one of the worst things you
10:46 pm
can do to provide the answer is to use all of the magic language of the politicians. what you want to do is address the question with common sense and baby talk. who was brilliant at that was abraham lincoln. >> your hero. >> absolutely. mine, yours, everyone who has had the opportunity to know him. what he said was, you are trying to figure out what government should do. government it should do for you the things that you cannot do yourself privately individually. if you need to come together and pool your money and energy to get it done, we call that government. >> he was known as a fierce debater and spellbinding orator with his keynote speech in san francisco overshadowing the nominee, walter mondale. in 1993, he shared with me secrets of speeches.
10:47 pm
>> first of all, and i said this to more than 11, 12 years of students who i was trying to teach legal writing, understand this about a brief, you are never finished. you are finished when you run out of time. the notion that you have a perfect speech, there is no such thing. >> lombardi said that we never lost, we ran out of time. >> you never finished. you can always make it better. it is like trying a case arguing in the supreme court. you can work endlessly on it and the ending is arbitrary. number two, the most important thing is to have something to say. >> a driving idea. >> and something you believe. people say, why don't you get jimmy breslin to write a speech? he is one of the most gifted writers that has ever lived, if his heart is in it, no one has done better than he.
10:48 pm
or norman mailer. bill kennedy. couldn't he write a magnificent speech? you have to be saturated in it and write it and rewrite it and then read it. if it is going to be a speech, do not read it to yourself because you do not read it right. the words you put down reflected your thought and the interpolations you never get. when you read it back, you read the interpolations. you know what you wanted to say. if i read it to charlie rose, he will see gaps.
10:49 pm
so what you do is deliver it to charlie rose, or to your husband, or to your son, or to the elevator operator. say it. keynote speech of 84, i read to about 10 or 12 people in my office at the world trade center. just people who work for me, i read it, and went around the room. what did you think? you did not say middle-class. you did not say enough about policy. you could do that to her three or four times. i have never, except for the abortion, there is not a speech in this book that had the time i think it should have had. >> his inspiring oratory and time as governor made him a popular figure but he was also one of the most frustrating. two times he was urged to run for president and declined. we talked about it on the program.
10:50 pm
>> from 84 on, from the keynote on, when asked about the president, i said the same thing. i am not thinking about running for president, i have never thought about running for president, and never suggested anything else. and everyone knows it. ron brown, my former student said publicly that i hope the governor will let us know before the new hampshire primary. so i fixed that date, from october whatever the date was to november whatever the date was that was the time. that was the shortest period of time that anyone spent on the subject. i sent up a committee, we did fundraising, prepared a report that dealt with every issue. the final issue was, what happened to new york, and the answer was the republicans would not give us a budget to keep us
10:51 pm
in new york. >> you seemed to know you were closing the door and you seemed to do it reluctantly. you seemed to do it reluctantly. >> it was not an easy decision frankly. it is not an easy decision if you are leading the polls. i do not like polls, because i would not be governor if i had paid any attention. i was first in the polls. i am not a fool. if you are ahead in the poll for a long period of time and people are saying that they trust you you take that seriously.
10:52 pm
that is what i have devoted my life to. to be given the opportunity to do it on a broad stage, even more than the presidency, the chance to make the case for new york on a national platform. >> i understand. >> there was reluctance. >> with his track record, he was touted as a potential supreme court justice but it would be a generation before he could be nominated and he felt he had other obligations. >> is the reason you were not criticizing this president because you want to be the first nominee for the supreme court? >> no. >> have you thought about you would accept it if he asked? >> not enough to answer. >> it has to have occurred to you, because he mentioned that 13 times during the campaign. mary oklahoma is the type of person i would nominate for the supreme court.
10:53 pm
-- mario cuomo is the type of person i would nominate for the supreme court. it is believed that he is prepared to resign and was waiting to see a democrat. would you like to sit on the supreme court? that is easy. >> it is not as easy as you think. if you answer that question without qualifying it, it is the same as saying i would rather do that than what i am doing. >> not rather be on the supreme court, like to be on the supreme court. >> if i could be governor and on the supreme court, yes. >> i go back to my first question to get to this in a logical manner. will you run for reelection? >> that is what i have to deal with now and here is what i have to say. here is what i have said on the subject, i will repeat it to you because i am trying to avoid discussion frankly, because it does not even serve a good purpose. i have never been invited to serve on the supreme court.
10:54 pm
or to be a nominee of the president. there is no vacancy. if there were a vacancy and he asked me to do it or indicated he might, i would have to go with that question. at the moment, i am focused on being governor. i have spent all of my career in state service. >> to serve the people of new york. >> i would be perfectly comfortable to finish my career serving. >> he is survived by his wife matilda, five children, and 14 grandchildren. mayor cuomo died at age 82. ♪
10:55 pm
.
10:56 pm
10:57 pm
10:58 pm
10:59 pm
11:00 pm
>> live from pier three in san francisco, welcome to "bloomberg west." we focus on innovation technology, and the future of business. i'm cory johnson. here's a check of your bloomberg top headlines. u.s. stocks started off the week on a rocky note. dow, nasdaq sliding. energy stocks taking it on the chin. oil extended its losses by tipping below $46 a barrel. that is down from $100 last summer. san francisco fed presidents says raising interest rates in june will be a close call even with strong job growth.

14 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on